Julian Kimmings is a UK based artist. His work uses an amalgamation of acrylic, spray paint, ink and oil paint to create a vivid, engaging world of fanciful portraits.
With a background in Illustration and Design, Julian is fascinated by ancient cultures, folklore and mythology, using their stories to give his work a narrative that relates, in part, to an increasingly materialistic modern World.
Julian defines his subjects with strong gestures, mixed with rich brushwork that result in areas of detail fused with raw, energetic emotion, allowing the viewer to fill the blanks with their own imagination.
Julian says "I like to work quickly to capture the original spark of emotion that I feel at the moment of inspiration before it fades to memory. Like waking from a vivid dream and wanting to record it before it is lost".
He uses imagery from life alongside his vast world of imaginary subjects to construct a narrative to immerse his audience in these dream-like states.
Julian holds a BA(hons) in Illustration and has been exhibited at the Institute for Contemporary Arts, London. His unique, often graphic style has captured the attention and imagination of collectors across the globe and has gained acclaim from his peers in fine art, street art and graffiti circles.
- Hidden Meaning, K West, London - May 2011
- Odd Bar, Northern Quarter, Manchester - October 2009
- Oddest Bar, Chorlton, Manchester - September 2009
- Face Off, Pretty Portal, Düsseldorf - September 2015
- Virtue Of Fools, Schwalbe Und Schwalbe, Berlin - October 2014
- Virtue Of Fools, Schwalbe Und Schwalbe, Munich - September 2014
- Beauty Is The Beholder, Upfest, Bristol - March 2014
- STROKE Art Fair, Schwalbe Und Schwalbe, Munich - May 2013
- Two man show at Upfest Gallery, Bristol – October 2011
- Shine at Space Gallery, Folkstone – August 2011
- Urban In Ibiza, Atzaro, Ibiza, August 2011
- Inside Out and ViceVersa, London West Bank, London, August 2011
- Bank Job London West Bank, London - July 2011
- Hidden Meaning K-West Hotel, London - May 2011
- Corroded Surfaces Graffik Gallery, London - March 2011
- Sk8 Like Canvas Vol II Galleria Ex-Monti Club, Italy - January 2011
- Lump of coal and a satsuma, Mooch Gallery, Manchester - December 2010
- Outsiders (Part 1), Corke Art Gallery, Liverpool - September 2010
- Exposure, Bedford Street Gallery, Woburn - August 2010
- Urban View Gallery, The View Gallery, Bristol - June 2010
- The Beautiful & The Canned, Brighton - May 2010
- Golden Lion, Bristol - March 2010
- Grafik Warfare, Hazardous Waste Graffik Gallery, London - February 2010
- Au Secours, Art For Haiti Blackall Studios, London - February 2010
- Wilder Gallery, Bristol - December 2009
- Fresh Produce, Anno Domini Gallery San Jose, California - December 2009
- Cardboard Shelter, Newcastle upon Tyne - December 2009
- FBBB, London - November 2009
- Editions Christmas Open Exhibition, Liverpool - November 2009
- Buy Art Fair, Urbis, Manchester - September 2009
- Ye Cracke, Liverpool - July 2009
- Weapon of Choice, Bristol - June 2009
- Upfest, Tobacco Factory, Bristol - June 2009
- CutClick Anniversary Exhibition, Abbey Walk Gallery, Grimsby - May 2009
- Rowan Gallery, Mold - May 2009
- STROKE Art Fair - Munich, 2013
- Sand Sea Spray - Blackpool, 2012
- Outhouse Project - Manchester, 2012
- Urban Tactics - Budapest, Hungary, 2011
- ‘Regenerated ‘ Birmingham New Street - Birmingham, 2011
- Sand Sea Spray - Blackpool, 2011